If you are experiencing a feature transfer error when installing Microsoft Flight Simulator, read our dedicated guide here instead.
For all other products, you'll need to be logged into your PC as an Administrator before performing these steps.
- Open the "All Users" folder. For Windows XP, the location is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users". For Vista and Windows 7/8/10/11, the location is "C:\Users\Public".
- In the "All Users" or "Public" folder, right-click on the "Shared Documents" or "Public Documents" folder and select "Properties".
- In the "General" tab, clear the check-box marked as "Read-only".
- Click "Apply" and "OK" on the pop-up box.
- Navigate to the "Security" tab.
- Select "Administrators".
- Verify that "Deny" is not checked for anything. If it is, uncheck it. For Vista and Windows 7/8/10/11, click "Edit" to Update it.
- Verify that "Allow" is checked for "Full Control". If it is not, check it. For Vista and Windows 7/8/10/11, click "Edit" to Update it.
- If there are any other entries in the group or user names list, repeat steps 8-9 for each of them.
Click on "Apply", then click on "OK".
- In the Windows search bar, search %Temp%, click to open the folder, and then delete all folders inside of the "Temp" folder. (C:\Users\<user account>\AppData\Local\Temp).
- In the Windows search bar, search Windows Update, and click to open this program. Select "Check for updates" from the search list to check and install all important updates.
- Reboot your computer.
Once the above steps have been completed, please attempt to install the product you were previously trying to install.